Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Business Letter

123 Main Street
Penticton, British Columbia,
V2A 3W1

May 25, 2011


Dear Mr. Kleats:

My name is Juan Rosario de los Santos, and I am the father of Manuel Roasrio de los Santos. My son is a member of your pee-wee soccer team, the Penticton Pounders. I applaud your willingness to spend your time coaching my son alongside the rest of the team. However, I have written to express a handful of personal concerns that have arisen throughout the course of the season. As a concerned father, I would like to work with you in fixing these minor grievances, and suggest ways in which the Pounders organization can be improved for everyone.

Throughout the last several weeks, I have noticed that your record of punctuality has been less than lustrous, in regards to your arrival to practices. I understand your busy schedule, in which you manage to juggle between your roles as father, employee and coach. However, more often than not, you arrive to practice late, forcing the kids to bide time in unproductive ways. In the instances when you show up in a timely manner, the practices have been disorganized, including little to no drills. When I have been present at practices, the only semblance of organization I witnessed was in between scrimmages, when the unhealthy snacks were being distributed. Thank you for keeping my son well-fed. Nevertheless, I would like to gently remind you that when you accepted your position as coach of the Penticton Pounders, you agreed to foster the player's skills of effort, teamwork and responsibility. If you were to show these qualities in your coaching, the children will be much more receptive to what you have to say, both in-game and out.

A few of your game-time decisions have also left me, alongside Manuel, slightly disconcerted. For example, last Saturday I watched our team's game against the Summerland Snipers. I understand the gravity of competing against our fiercest division rivals, however I was taken aback by your heated actions. Whilst gripped in a goalless draw, you mindfully ignored the team's usual substitution policy, opting instead on keeping our more gifted players playing for the majority of the game. This left Manuel off of the field for the remainder of the afternoon. Furthermore, I overheard your elevated voice at half-time, stressing above all else the importance of winning that exhibition match. I applaud your passionate coaching style, but in U-10 level soccer, the extra emphasis placed on winning can be considered crass.

After airing these grievances, I would be delighted to make suggestions for the betterment of the team as a whole. At the moment, your spotty attendance record implies that coaching the Penticton Pounders alone has become too time-consuming for your lifestyle. As a stay-at-home dad (although I prefer the term Domestic Engineer), I would be able to lend my afternoons and perhaps adopt the role as assistant coach for the Pounders. With a two coach system, your role as chief decision maker is diminished in no way. I would organize practices, run some new drills and encourage the players at half-time. With us at the helm of the Pounders organization, I foresee the remainder of the season being fun, rewarding and ultimately, a great learning experience. Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns and solutions. I look forward to a response.


Sincerely,

Juan Rosario de los Santos

1 comment:

  1. 3 of 3 assignments complete. Writing is original and polished. I've certainly never heard of the song you have chosen. Letter has a diplomatic tone. Work humor into the names or addresses, but keep your content serious by avoiding digressions such as "domestic engineer." Fun to read as always.

    ReplyDelete